Wednesday, May 22, 2002

Because of the nature of who I've given this address to, I probably should be careful about being too open with things that are going on with me at certain times. I'll just say this, being a part of a faith community with people that are also part of your everday community, while being what I think is the ideal situation, also sucks ass big time. I guess it'd be much easier to be a part of a megachurch where I can see people at the "spiritual" and social events, and then go live my life. But unfortunately, that's not my situation.

That was a bunch of rambling. I'm reading "Wobegon Boy" by Garrison Keillor, and am loving it. Here's a couple of quotes:

"In Lake Wobegon, you learned about being All Right. Life is complicated, so think small. You can't live life in raging torrents, you have to take it one day at a time, and if you need drama, read Dickens."

"The urge to be top dog is a bad urge. Inevitable tragedy. A sensible person seeks to be at peace, to read books, know the neighbors, take walks, enjoy his portion, live to be eighty, and wind up fat and happy, although a little wistful when the first coronary walks up and slugs him in the chest. Nobody is meant to be a star. Charisma is pure fiction, and so is brilliance. It's the dummies who sit on the stage, and it's the smart people who sit in the dark near the exits. That is the Lake Wobegon view of life."
___________
Living with people, like being married I supposed, is a little like having a mirror in front of you all the time. I've realized lately small parts of who I am and, for the most part, I like it. Who I am is someone content with sitting in the dark near the exits.

No comments: