Thursday, February 12, 2004

WITHOUT THE WORLD OF POSSIBILITY, WHAT DO WE HAVE LEFT?

I told myself I wasn't going to blog about Ed for a while, but I couldn't pass this one up. The above quote is from one of the second episodes of the first season, and comes from Ed as he is defending a local magician against someone who is threatening to expose his secrets. The quote takes on significance throughout the entire four years of the show. In a sense, it is the show's metanarrative.

On Stuckeyville.com recently, someone posting as "therealmolls" gave a thank you to the fans. Obviously the temptation was there to be cynical about whether or not "therealmolls" was Lesley Boone (the actress who plays Molly) or not. And someone wrote this fascinating little thing about it, which I think is very relevant to our faith as followers of the One with whom certainty often eludes us.:
____________________________________________________-
Gang,
In lieu of the skepticism about the *realmolls* stopping by our site to say thanks, I have some thoughts...

One of my favorite lines to say to folks is this: just because I'm sincere doesn't mean I'm stupid. I think it's an important line. It's not as if I don't know how things work or that folks aren't always as they seem...more often than not, I choose not to care, and do the complete opposite - I reach out towards the world of possibility instead of burrowing deep in the world of cynicism.

Let's be truthful, our world isn't exactly pretty right now. Watching the news, reading the paper, even talking to one's neighbor can be an impetus for cynicism. It doesn't take much to be cynical. It takes much more to be open - to the possibility.

In the most recent instance, I, like others, had my doubts that the realmolls was really as advertised. For what was at stake, however, taking the leap that the realmolls was really the beloved Lesley Boone did not seem like a large risk. So often we voice our appreciation for the show amongst our friendly coterie here, what harm is it to actually share the same with someone who might be connected with the show in a big way (in the cast)? From my perspective, no such harm. We're not giving out our bank accounts. We're showing our appreciation for something that means a lot to us. Such action would seem a bit good-natured, but certainly not dangerous.

In a world of danger and uncertainty, the world of possibility is a beautiful place. The world of possibility does not mean we naively put our trust in the unfathomable and act foolishly. The world of possibility means we are open to the possibility that extraordinary things can and DO happen. I've certainly been made a believer of such through the recent happenings here.

No matter how transient, I think that's something to embrace, not snicker at. We're all aware that nothing gold can stay. Come May the final knell may ring for our favorite show, and with it, sadness may ensue. That too, disappointment, is part of the world of possibility. What is and what should be rarely merge as one. In the rare event that they do, let's take notice, not cynically disbelieve...

What is beautiful about the world of possibility is that it renews hope. Without the world of possibility - what do we have left?

___________________________________________

How wonderful is that?

No comments: