Saturday, February 07, 2004

The Finale



Well, for those of you who were here and a little disappointed that I didn't break down and sob more than I did, don't worry. After bowling was over and everyone went home I watched the wedding and reception once again and lost it.

What a wonderful ending to a wonderful show.

Ed's toast went something like this:

"I believe that life consists of two parts: what is and what should be. And sometimes with a lot of hard work, a lot of perseverance, and maybe a little good luck, what is and what should be meet at the same place. And right now in this dingy old bowling alley that I love, looking into the faces of all of you here, I can't help but believe that this is one of those times."

If you've watched Ed for any length of time you know this, that Ed never wanted to do anything half ass. His reality consisted of creating spectacular, memorable, but very out of the ordinary experiences for both Carol and all his friends. He didn't like the mundane, or the normal. And that's a big reason Carol rejected him for so long, because she knew that the wonderful, spectacular, vision Ed had of Carol didn't match up to the reality.

Well, last night Ed shunned his normal, which to us is abnormal, and chose the familiar. Which, for him and Carol, was abnormal, in it's own spectacular way. (Does that make any sense?)

And the final song, while everyone was dancing and having a good time:

"And if you care to stay in our little corner of the world
We could hide away in our little corner of the world
We always knew that we'd find someone like you
So welcome to our little corner of the world"


So my goal for my life? To work hard, to persevere, to pray for, and to take advantage of the luck I've been given, in order to make "what is" and "what should be" meet on the same ground. And I'll do it here in Waco (odd isn't it?)-- my little corner of the world.

No comments: