Monday, November 03, 2003

Too often I wait until I think I have something cool to say before I journal. I need to be more comfortable sharing the boring facts of what goes on in my days. I always say it is in the mundane that we truly experience life. I guess it's time I wrote as if I really believe that's true.

Today I worked from 7-4. It was a frustrating day because I never really got anything done. I started several things, but it was one of those situations where I started something and realize I had to get something else out of the way before I could start. Then I realized there were something to get done before I do that thing, and on and on. Next thing I knew it was 4:00 and nothing was done. I decided to put up the Sting poster so I could have something to show for it.

Afterwards I came home, took a nap, went for a walk, then started watching TV. There was a special in ABC about "The DaVinci Code." It was very interesting. The book is extremely popular, and I have had a very general sense about what it's all about, but I have never really given it a lot of my attention. Where I'm at now with it--- I think it's possible that Jesus and Mary Magdalene were married, but I really don't see any evidence either way. I guess the big question is this: Does it affect my faith in any way? And I think the answer is no. If it is true that Jesus had a wife, and had children, that doesn't really change my belief about who he was, and is. I absolutely loved what this one priest said. He feels like, even though it is possible Mary and Jesus were married, he thinks too much is being made about it-- mainly because of Christianity's skewed views on sex. What he thinks is being passed over is this extraordinary truth: that Jesus, more than any other religious figure in history, extolled the value of women-- so much so that one of his closest followers was a women. I think that's cool.

Later on I watched the Gauntlet. I think the Matt guy needs to grow up a little. I appreciate his fervor and dedication. I think he did a lot to alienate a lot of people. Had he tried to build bridges with certain people, rather than destroying them, I think he'd still be on the show. But having been the way he was before, I know there is no way other than experience that will encourage him to change.

I had the day off yesterday. Sunday school was good. I was in the nursery, so I'm not quite sure how church was. Later I watched the Cowboys v. Redskins. I'm very happy we won, but man was it an ugly game.

I've got about 45 pages left of Eggers book. I should be finished with it by the end of this week.

No comments: