Saturday, November 19, 2005

What I Want You To Know...

During those two days many people I haven't seen in quite a while came up to me, offered a hug and their condolences, and then said "I keep up with you through your blog."

Whatthewhothewhat?

I suspected I had a readership of 8-10, but apparently I was wrong. So, out of pure, unadulterated vanity, I installed a site meter.

Wow. There are a lot of you's out there.

Here's me using your attention for what I hope is good:

You obviously spend at least a moderate amount of time on the internet, which is good. We need to be informed. Many of you have run across this guy named "Paul Proctor," and have peppered Emergent blogs with your ire towards him.

Do me a favor. Stop. Let this be the last time you consider responding to this guy. I know this is hard, but try to let this be the last time you even give him another inch of your thought space. Mr. Proctor thinks he's right, thinks he has God on his side. He (and his readers) thought that before Kyle died, they'll probably be thinking that up until their own deaths. I know people like this. (I grew up in East Texas, remember?) They operate in their own angry universe and have created for themselves a shell of protection (their literal-and-furious interpretation of Scripture) that shields them from things like common sense and the Love of Jesus.

Becoming angry at this guy and trying to reason with him is not living, and it's definitely not living well.

Now if you'll excuse me, I've got two turkeys to make.

No comments: