Tuesday, October 11, 2005


Sorry to keep y'all hanging for so long without news of my surgery. The pain medication has been great, making me not care too much about blogs or, really anything for that matter.

Everything went fine, as far as I know. The doctor updated my mom when I got out on what they did, but she wasn't very articulate in explaining it to me, so all I can tell you is a.) They covered up the hole in my eardrum with a skin graft, b.) They did not find a cholesteatoma that they originally thought may be there, c.) They messed around with some of my inner-ear bones-- which is why my head is extremely sore, and, now for the truly tragic news, d.) I lost my taste. Yes, the complications previously mentioned have come to pass. That's what I get for joking about the worst thing that could happen-- the worst thing happens. Good thing is that they say it should only last 4-6 weeks. In the meantime, I'm going to try to take advantage of it and break the 200 lb. threshold that has alluded me for so long.

Several people called over the weekend and talked to me at church to see how I was doing. I really appreciate it. I have the coolest, most loving peeps in the world.

Here's my favorite story from the weekend:

I drove to the Lake's on Sunday afternoon to watch the Cowboys kick some Eagle tail..., er, feathers. When I got there the kids had just fallen asleep for their naps. Sometime during the third quarter Jude woke up and stumbled into the living room, blurry-eyed and disoriented. Kyle held out his arms for Jude to crawl up into his lap, but he walked right over to me and mumbled through half-sleep, "How you ea-ah? You ea-ah betta?" At which point he crawled up into my lap and just started staring at me while I was watching the game. His back was to the television. He turned around, saw football was on, turned back toward me and asked, "You watching the Dallas Cowboys with my Daddy?" I said yes, he smiled the biggest smile in the world, leaned over and kissed my cheek near my bad ear and gave me the biggest hug in the world.

It was only later, when the pain medication wore off, that I realized I was not, in fact, in heaven as I had previously thought.

No comments: