Sunday, October 16, 2005

Just a Daily Update...

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. I'm going to try to work on all of them within the next few weeks. Right now, though, I just feel like giving you the facts.

It's been a good weekend. I worked 7-4 yesterday then went and watched the kids so Kyle and Jen could go to the UBC tailgate party and the football game. Of course I had no problem doing this, what with my feelings toward Baylor. (Those are, however changing from negative to indifferent. In case you are wondering.) Avery and I had a dance party before the boys woke up from their nap. The television was on one of those music only (no videos) channels and Avery was wearing her princess dress. She taught me the thing where you grab your ankle behind your back and kick your knees back and forth. I taught her the moonwalk. After the boys woke up we played on the swings, colored, walked down the street to say "hi" to Jana then came home to watch some British kids show that isn't the Wiggles. Can't remember the name. All in all, a fairly normal night. In other words, joyful.

Had a great small group discussion in Sunday school this morning on Romans 12. I'm often ashamed at the times I go long stretches without really reading Scripture, but at times it is helpful to leave it for a while only to come back with fresh eyes. In places the passage offended my postmodern sensibilities. The whole "one body/many parts" thing just smacks of value being given a person based primarily on their functionality to a group of people. That's what I was thinking when I read it in the NIV this morning. Then the paper that was passed out had the verse translated from the Message, which settled much better on my ears because it hinted that the functionality of the body isn't for our benefit, it's for God's. This is freeing to know that my part isn't something I have to strive for, but it's God using me being me.

Now there's some rambling for you.

Because of money issues and trying to stay away from the whole "who eats Sunday lunch with whom" politics, I've not eaten out after church at all this year, until today. We went to On The Border because the game was on. It reminded me why I decided to be a loner for lunch. But anyway, the game was great. The Cowboys finally one a close scoring game, which gives me hope that they may have a good season this year.

After than, a nap. Then a call from Blake (yeah, you woke me up. I didn't want to say so because I didn't want you to think I was mad and considering dropping you as a friend. So I pretended to be wide awake. I do that a lot because I don't want people thinking I'm mad at them. It's screwed up, I know.) We're headed to East Texas next weekend for ETBU homecoming and what, for me, will in all likelihood be the last time I get to spend with Jason and Christy before they head to France. I'm looking forward to it, and of course, not, all at the same time. (But never fear Edwards', I'm coming next year. Don't doubt it.)

At work I'm reading "The Tipping Point" by Malcolm Gladwell and at home I'm reading "Desert Solitaire" by Edward Abbey. Both are great.

Now, about the ears. I can't remember if I've posted this, but I got my stitches out on Thursday. There's tons of junk still in there, working it's healing powers but also making me near deaf in my right ear. The taste is slowly coming back. Today and interesting thing happened. I started hearing high frequencies that have remained out of my grasp for years now. It sounded like when the Martians are trying to make radio contact with Earthlings in those science fiction movies. (There's really no good way to describe it with words, but intuition tells me you know what I'm thinking about.) Quite interesting. I first heard it in the radio on the way to church, and then heard it powerfully coming out of Ben's harmonica playing.

I'm growing a beard. Not really, I'm just not shaving as often.

The songs that are cool to me right now are "I Never Promised you a Rose Garden," by Martina McBride, "A Beautiful Collision" by the David Crowder Band, and "You're Like Coming Home" by Lonestar (the first Lonestar song I've ever liked.)

As Luke would say... Blessings.

No comments: