Saturday, March 10, 2007

My night at work...

Two things about tonight at work...

1. A few years ago I would have never imagined hearing this sentence come out of someone's mouth: "Excuse me, sir. Are these the only Biblezines (pronounced to rhyme with magazines) you have?" I also never would have thought that we would have another place for our Biblezines, and that I would know exactly where they were.

2. You should be jealous of me. The new Anne Lamott book Grace (Eventually) doesn't come out for another week or so. We can't put them out for you, the commoners, but we can read them. I finished the preface and the first chapter today and was laughing so hard I had tears. Reading her stuff is like having God answer a prayer I didn't know I'd been praying. Since you've been good, I'll share a paragraph...

At twenty-one, I still believed that if you could only get to see sunrise at Stonehenge, or full moon at the Taj Mahal, you would be nabbed by truth. And then you would be well, and able to relax and feel fully alive. But I actually knew a few true things: I had figured out that truth and freedom were pretty much the same. And that almost everyone was struggling to wake up, to be loved, and not feel so afraid all the time. That's what the cars, degrees, booze, and drugs were about.



Later gators.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

so i don't even know you...but your words are like those of an old friend. i always look forward to reading your posts. thanks. if all the seattle talk ever comes to be...i would love to meet for coffee.

lynnette said...

you have succeeded in making me jealous.

ruth said...

you are definitely my hero