Friday, April 07, 2006

I remember in my college philosophy class reading about this guy who believed that all of reality is constantly changing. Because of this, according to this fellow, it is impossible to step into the same river twice.

Another guy came along and said yes, reality is constantly changing and, because of this, it is impossible to step into the same river ONCE.

The implications of these lines of reasoning are legion. But right now, being sufficiently inebriated enough to contemplate different thoughts, yet not enough to be stupid, I believe it tells us that while everything is always changing, the essence of things remains the same, so each individual smile is eternal.

Which is why dinner with friends is absolutely pure gold.

3 comments:

Melissa said...

I have posted this more than once on more than my blog but this post of yours reminds me of my favorite quote from Out of the Silent Planet.

“A pleasure is full grown only when it is remembered. You are speaking, Hm?n, as if the pleasure were one thing and the memory another. It is all one thing. The séroni could say it better than I say it now. Not better than I could say it in a poem. What you call remembering is the last part of the pleasure, as the crah is the last part of a poem. When you and I met, the meeting was over very shortly, it was nothing. Now it is growing something as we remember it. But still we know very little about it. What it will be when I remember it as I lie down to die, what it makes in me all my days till then–that is the real meeting. The other is only the beginning of it.”

I love the idea that one thing, one moment, is at once itself and yet constantly growing and evolving into something greater, until at last it has become so much more than we could have ever foreseen when it occurred.

My 10-year reunion is coming up and I've been thinking of this a lot lately. Seemingly random things, small occurrences 10 years ago, having had time to simmer and work its way into the fabric of my life, only now are showing their truer form and reminding me that each moment is important and precious, if not immediately and obviously significant.

Doctor Clockwork said...

I love Out of the Silent Planet.

So what about friendship is 'golden.' And what does it mean for friendship to be 'golden.' And how does friendship edify us, in our faith and in our lives.

I am preparing a couple of talks for a couple of classes for fifth-graders and their parents on 'preparing for adolescence,' and 'friendship' is the topic for one of my talks.

Aho said...

kierkegaard, Fear and Trembling...
you probably know this, but the book is based on this.

or, now I am doubting myself, it might the book repetition that was published with f/t.

beautiful use of the philsophical observation though