Thursday, April 05, 2007

Splendid...

You know how when you imagine winning the lottery, you have that little twinge of fear that you would drive down to the lottery office in Austin on a Saturday, after your bank has closed, and have to drive back to Waco with a valuable check in your glove compartment and keep it in your possesion until the bank opened at 9:00 on Monday? Every second all you are thinking is about how the world knows you are an almost millionaire, all you have to do is deposit that check which could be easily stolen from your car that doesn't have an alarm system? (Yes, I have a very overactive financial imagination.)

I've had that feeling for the past few hours. Today at work we received the Advanced Readers copy of A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini, the second book by the author of The Kite Runner. It's in my room right now and all I can think of are the hordes of literary barbarians here on Sanger Avenue that would become ravenous with envy if they discovered what was in my possesion. They might do anything to get to it.

3 comments:

the 10th kid said...

I'd be careful mentioning any more about where you live. I live about 30 miles south & I still might sneak up in the night & steal that book--or at least send some of my Waco friends to do it. Can't wait to hear your thoughts, then read it myself!

Jason said...

If you wanted to make some extra money you could read it aloud, record yourself, make hundreds of copies of said recording, and then sell them.

Happy Reading!

Unknown said...

If you had an advance copy of "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows," I might break into your house and steal it while you were at church or something.