Monday, April 09, 2007

Imus...

It was just announced that MSNBC is suspending the Imus in the Morning show for the next couple of weeks, and I'm pretty pissed. One of the only reasons I wake up as early as I do is to listen to my favorite cantankerous old man rant about the news and speak with some of the best political journalists around.

Sure, what he said was horrible and absolutely indefensible. Public figures are public figures who open themselves up to ridicule, while NCAA athletes are practically kids who just happen to be on television. But Imus is an equal opportunity offender and I don't recall the Sharptons and the Jacksons of the world getting upset when he called Rush Limbaugh a "fat pill popper."

I'm sure I'd be more offended if Imus wasn't such a big part of my daily routine.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

i'm with you- i like Imus alot.

Anonymous said...

I can understand how Imus' comments have elicited a backlash. But....come...on.! He says outrageous things about everyone. I mean he is often disrespectful of women generally. I do not listen to his radio show anymore...but when I did there were often times I would turn the channel because he could get so offensive. The reason I listened...not because of these comments but because he interviews interesting people and he asks them hard questions. I heard one of the members of the Axis of Evil comedy tour answering a question about what issues if any he felt like he could not make fun of. I expected him to say something that had to do with muslim culture. But he said, cancer and suicide. They're not funny. I think one could add to that list at least for caucasian comedians race.

luke

Luke