Sunday, June 26, 2005

Self Appointed Experts...

So did anyone else catch Tom Cruise's interview with Matt Lauer? Un freaking believable.

However, as off guard as I was caught, I can't say his demeanor is anything new to me. I used to be like Cruise. Not with his position against psychiatry, although I did at one time hold similar beliefs, but in the absolute arrogance he showed. If you didn't see it, the interview went something like this....

Lauer: You are against using medication to treat things like depression. What do you say to someone like Brooke Shields who suffered from postpartum depression, and said medication helped her.

Cruise: It didn't really help her.

Lauer: Are you saying your beliefs are the only way to believe?

Cruise: Matt, you don't know what you are talking about. I know what I'm talking about, but you don't know what you're talking about. I have the information, you don't. If you had the same information, and the desire to learn it, as I do, then you'd come to a vastly difference conclusion.

Lauer: But what about these people who know from experience what has been good for them?

Cruise: I know the right way, they don't, even if they think they do. They're wrong.

This is why I find it increasingly difficult to be involved in "heated discussions" that I used to savor in college. Everyone assumes that if you knew what they knew then you'd change you're mind.

Tiring.

No comments: