Wednesday, September 08, 2004

Feels Like Days Go By...

The two songs that are on my radar today are "Feels like Today" (http://www.cmt.com/artists/az/rascal_flatts/artist.jhtml)by Rascal Flatts and "Days Go By" (http://www.capitol-nashville.com/index.cfm?method=artist.artistBio&artistID=23) Keith Urban.

If you're a high critic of good music, which I'm not, you could accuse both Rascal Flatts and Keith Urban of being at least two things-- Formulaic and Melodramatic. And to that I say "Amen" and "Amen."

Things that are cliche' are cliche' for a reason, namely that there is an element of truth within cliche's. Things that are formulaic are formulaic for a reason. They work.

And melodramatic? Umm.....yeah, it's country music. Country music is melodramatic.

Both songs are the classic "Grab life by the tail and experience it to it's fullest" type message. Simple, true. If you want something, go after it. You never do things you don't try. Hallmark stuff like that.

In an hour I turn thirty. Not a huge deal, but big enough to merit reflection. Actually every birthday, and every day for that matter, is big enough to merit reflection. So, here I am. Almost 30.

Reflecting.

When I was a junior in high school I was in this group called P.A.L.S. For a period a day I walked across the practice football field to the elementary school to visit with a kid who was being abused at home. My assignment was simply to talk to him. So I did, and learned for the first time that people want to talk to people. And my life is better for it. And that's who I am today... that guy who walked across the field to talk to a kid.

Three years ago I had an opportunity to tell a girl from the other side of the world, in person, what I felt about her. I didn't do it. I learned for the first time that there are moments you only have one of, and if you don't take those moments they will walk away and be told by another person what you wanted to say. I am lacking because of it. And that's who I am today... the guy who walked away from her.

When fall comes and the cool slices right through the Texas heat, like this morning, I sometimes drive down the road and when I hear a song worthy of being sung loud, I roll down the window and do the wave thing with my hand through the wind. Sometimes I feel that doing this is the highest pinnacle of freedom. And that's who I am today... the guy who does the windy wave thing.

Over the past year I've realized how predictable I probably am to most people. Political and social conversation turns to talk of the superiority of small towns. "There you go again, Craig." If I'm in a conversation and Avery, Sutton, or Jude walks in-- they get my attention. All the time. It's probably rude of me. But that's who I am today... Mr. Predictable. (Boring? Probably. You can be a lot worse things than boring.)

Today I gave a friend a big hug when sending him off to another city, even though the time lapse between the next time we see each other will be no more than what is normal. I'll never regret that hug we shared. Numerous are the times when I've wanted to show emotion to friends, but for whatever reason held back. I regret all of those times. And that's who I am today... One who has many regrettable and unregrettable moments.

I'm all of these things, and much more.

Reflecting.
Reflecting many things.

In the time it's taken me to write this post, I've passed from 29 to 30. And the only things I can share with you from my three decades of living are found in two very formulaic and melodramatic country songs--

"You treat life like a picture
But it's not a moment thats frozen in time
It's not gonna wait Til you make up your mind, at all
So while this storm is breaking
While there's light at the end of the tunnel
Keep running towards it
Releasing the pressure, that's my heartache
Soon this dam will break
And it feels like today I know, it feels like today,
I'm sure It's the one thing that's missin'
The one thing you're wishin'
Life's sacred blessin' and then,
It feels like today"

And

"We think about tomorrow then it slips away.
Oh, yes, it does.
We talk about forever but we've only got today...
And the days go by...
I can feel 'em flyin'Like a hand out the window as the cars go by...
Yeah it's all we've been given,
So you better start livin',
You better start livin',
Better start livin' right now!"

___________________________
That kid who died a couple of months ago who had MD, Mattie Stepanek, always wanted to be called "Poet, Peacemaker, and Philosopher who Played."
So, please, in honor of my birthday and in lieu of gifts--- Play.

Unless, of course, you don't want to play. In that case, gifts will be fine as well.

No comments: