Thursday, December 18, 2003

STATEMENT CONCERNING PAST PERCEIVED INDISCRETIONS

A friend who I think very highly of, who was a part of my ETBU world and has been a part of my Waco world since I had a Waco world, humorously suggested that perhaps the string of expletives found in my Dec. 5 entry was a little over the top. And for that, I say thank you. In the future I'll work on reducing the number of profanities I use. I'm not going to eliminate them altogether, because that would not be true to who I am. But I do think I can be creative without constantly using the word "fuck" to induce humor. Call this my "attempt" at creative authenticity.

Now, you see Mr. T., that's how it's done. It just took a very subtle, and humorous, suggestion from this friend for me to be prodded onto thinking more about what I do. No self-righteous disappointment. No threats of removing his "endorsement." Just someone who cares enough about me to share this common life of following Christ. So, if you have constructive criticism for me, I don't give a shit. Come be a part of my life and earn the right to talk to me the way you talked to me in that email, then I'll listen.

RADIO

Last night Blake, Daniel, Jason, and I went to see Radio. It was such a great movie. About midway through I was thinking "you know, I hate this. It's so cliche' and emotionally manipulative." But close to the end I just (metaphorically) threw my hands up in the air and said (also metaphorically) "fuck it, I'm crying." Which brings me to this thought.....

CLICHE', MANIPULATION, AND THINGS BEING DILUTED FOR THE MASS MARKET

I think there's too many people running away from music, movies, careers, thoughts, reality, etc., that are familiar and accesible to the masses. Too many terminally chic people out there. Too many pretensious people who (silently) look down on others because, although they may enjoy music and movies that only make it to the art houses and coffee house of the moment, don't really care to devote their energies to promote those things, just so they can tear it down once the masses start enjoying it, or insult the masses for not catching on sooner. I have this tendency just as much as the next guy, but I'm trying to keep it in check.

Sometimes things are cliche' because they are true.

MY MUSIC OF THE MOMENT

Yesterday I bought the Joe Nichols cd "Man with a Memory." This guy is awesome. He sounds like a cross between George Jones, Alan Jackson, and George Strait. The CD brings me back to the stuff I remember hearing in my dad's pickup truck on the way home from football games late on Friday nights in the fall.

No comments: