Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Readying...

As I mentioned a couple of weeks ago, I'm about to begin a much needed vacation. For some reason I'm at a time in my life when I feel like the only one around who is dying inside. All I've got is a life that was and a life I believe may someday be, but in the purgatory that is now only a few grains of goodness scattered in the weeds. In many ways I'm dealing with the universal issues of identity and worth that the great Christian theologian and poet Michael W. Smith sang about many years ago when he talked about his place in this world. So, all that to say, I need a break from this place.

Here's my itinerary... Saturday I'm heading to Dallas for my good friend Brent's wedding. I'll be back in Waco for church and hopefully lunch with friends on Sunday, then in the afternoon I'll be heading to Tyler to hang out with the Herrings and to visit Soma, their new church. Early Monday I'll be heading far east to the Carthage area to stop by the graves of my grandparents. I'll spend the next two or three days camping out in Caddo Lake. Hoping to get some good reading and possibly writing done during that time, but mostly just relaxation. I'll be back around Waco toward the end of next week and will play it by ear for that weekend. I don't have to be back at work until the Devil's Birthday, praise Jesus.

If any of you who read this reside between here and any of the aforementioned theres, I'd love to sit down and shoot the bull over a cup of coffee, if you are so inclined.

That's about it for now.

3 comments:

Jeanne Damoff said...

Come by!

jenA said...

pooh. i will be in killeen...
hey, listen. you have been (your life so far) in fact a great comfort to me. After receiving my most recent lecture on why I am 29 and unable to support myself the way others my my age and with my school have done, I thought of you.
You went to school, you work at a job you don't hate, you waited a zillion years to buy a new car and you live in a semi-small town. But you never seemed to freak out about it, like you were trapped and had to escape.
I always felt like I was trying to get somewhere else and couldn't, so I feel your need to jet away once in awhile.
Perhaps you should take more weekend trips than you do, but I've come to believe that would even satisfy my need to roam if I had stayed in Waco.

Anonymous said...

um...lake caddo...that's close to marshall, right? just kidding. i actually just went out there a couple of weeks ago. and it pretty much rocked my world. i didn't know it was so mysteriously beautiful. i hope you have a great and relaxing time. :)

i always welcome "outside contact", especially from Waco. :) coffee, bull, and conversation are also plusses. holla if you want to have a break from the lake! i'll be around. perhaps Matt can join too.