Thursday, January 05, 2006

Here's What's Going On, In My Neck of the Woods...

-- (Anyone catch the Al Roker reference?)

-- My good friend, Ms. Site Meter, tells me people are trickling back to their computers after a winter hibernation. The 80 degree Central Texas January weather is luring people back to their computers, I guess.

-- A couple of weeks ago my friend Tracey's college roommates got their hands on Mavs Tickets IN A CORPORATE SUITE! I got to go and it was quite the experience. They played the Timberwolves, won, and I got to walk around and see all the rich people in their suites watching the game... on the TELEVISION SETS in the suite, with the game occuring just a few yards from them. It was ridiculous. Nevertheless, it's going to be difficult for me to watch a game with the REGULAR people anymore.

-- Speaking of, my old ETBU friend Jason Fortenberry received from his sister Mavs tickets for Saturday night, also against the T'Wolves. She gave him an extra for a friend, and I am the friend who lucked out. (I think it's because all his seminary friends in Ft. Worth are out of town but, hey, I'll take what I can get.) I'm leaving tomorrow evening after work and will be staying with him over the weekend. I'll get up and drive back on Sunday morning to be at UBC.

-- The reason I want to make it back for church is because I'll be away next week for a, get this, DISCIPLE NOW! That's right, people, Craig Nash Youth Worker is coming out of retirement! (Roaring sounds of cheering... JUBILATION!!) Good old Cory has asked me to help lead a group for his youth group. I can honestly say I don't think I would do it for any other youth minister but him. I'm looking forward to seeing how a more seasoned Craig responds to high schoolers.

-- I fully intended for this to be the week I start reading in ernest again, but Monday the sewer began to overflow into our bathroom and I've been busy mopping and staying away from the smell of the house. One of these days I'm going to get a large block of time just to read and when I do I am going to finally get through "Life of Pi," something I should have read years ago.

-- Half Marathon training is going well. I finished a five mile run this morning. On Sunday afternoon I'm going for six. I'm considering starting a blog where I just talk about my training.

-- Speaking of running... If you've been reading the Waco Trib, and who doesn't, you've read about the city being in talks with a development firm out of Houston to build up downtown into a commercial and residential hub. The dream is to have Austin Avenue (the street on which I reside,) filled with more commercial and residential buildings. They are envisioning downtown coffee shops and art houses. This is the street I run on and today I thought how cool it would be to be running downtown and hearing from across the street the owner of a small diner sweeping the sidewalk and yelling, "It's going to be another hot one today, isn't it Craig?" To which I reply, "Sure is Bill, good to see you!"

-- That last bullet point solidified something I've been thinking about for some time, and something I'm coming to peace with. I'm a Wacoan. I've lived in Waco longer than anywhere else, other than the town I grew up in.

-- Since I'll be heading to Ft. Worth tomorrow and Saturday, it'll be at least a few days before I post again. Here's hoping things are going well in your neck of the woods.

No comments: