Saturday, December 10, 2005

Going Backwards, Gaining Ground...

(Fair Warning: Chronicles of Narnia spoiler contained within.)

______________________________________________________________

A couple of weeks ago I was playing with Avery. In the middle of dolls and Dora the Explorer she stopped, thought for a second, and then said, "I think my Daddy is a baby now." I said, "You do?" To which she replied, "Yeah," and then immediately returned to playing, as if she had just made a random statement about the weather or green peas.

I didn't pursue it. To be honest, it scared me a little. Growing up being taught to fear all things New Age, I secretely wondered if Avery was about to go over to that side. I was prepared for her to say she wanted Santa to bring her a Yanni CD and a Shirley McLain Barbie.

The other night I went with Singleton and Anthony for the midnight showing of The Chronicles of Narnia. It may shock some of you, but I've never actually read the books. I told myself I would before the movie, but I never got around to it. So I saw the movie anyway. I was very pleased. I think I enjoyed it much more now than I would have had it been released seven weeks ago.

All the allegory talk, pretty much right on. A lot of the things I wasn't smart enough to assign their proper place, but I understand where people could see this as a mirror image of the biblical narrative.

Aslan, in explaining his resurrection makes this statement: "When a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."

Death itself would start working backwards.

As you would expect, the lump formed in my throat. And then a voice from two weeks ago echoed in my mind... "I think my Daddy is a baby now."

If the phenomenon of the resurrection is fulfilled in the eschaton (wow, I've been looking for a place to use that word for years now,) and death itself is reversed, then wouldn't it make sense that the affects of age will also be reversed?

And if the effects of age are reversed, and that is the ideal, then it should not surprise us that Jesus constantly told us, in so many words, "Look to the child! They get it! Be like them!"

I'm no theologian, but with this one, I'll be taught by Avery.

No comments: