Wednesday, October 13, 2004

Preparation...

I've been asked to preach this Sunday on Acts 17, where Paul reasons with the philosophers on Mars Hill. Any great nuggets of manna from heaven from my deeply theological friends on this one? I'll take what I can get (but I can't promise I won't discard it once I realize it doesn't fit into my theological scheme:) )

Election...

Tonight is the last debate and I'm kind of glad. Believe it or not, I'm ready for this to be over. I'm still digging all the pundit shows and still enjoying talking about it, but I'm ready to know who is going to win so I can get on with my life.

Books...

I'll be writing more about this later, but I wanted to give you a heads up on three books that are coming out on October 28.

1. Dave Eggers, author of "A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius," and "You Shall Know Our Velocity," will be releasing a collection of short stories titled "How We are Hungry." Eggers is a master of quirky sentence structure and is one of the top five writers on my list of favorites.

2. Gordon Atkisson, aka Real Live Preacher, is releasing a collection of his blogs and musings in the book "RealLivePreacher.com." There's a link to his site on my page and I absolutely love his stuff.

3. My pastor and good friend Kyle Lake's book "Understanding God's Will; How to Hack the Equation Without Formulas" will also be out on the 28th. I've read it and it's extremely good and I'm extremely biased but I still think it's extremely good. I'll be writing more about this soon, but I've got a favor to ask of all of you who do not live in Waco. Please walk into your local Barnes and Noble (this is important-- any other bookstore WILL NOT DO!!) and request that the store shortlist 5 or 6 copies of this book. They will know what you are talking about. If they can't find the title, give them this ISBN: 0974694266.

More on that later.

No comments: