Tuesday, May 07, 2002

I got in trouble today by my boss for not being creative enough in my teaching. Of course the catalyst for this comment was that some girl threw a crayon at another girl, who then went and told the principal. I totally see the logic in this. I categorically reject the idea that the crayon-thrower's misbehavior is a product of a parent who does nothing to discipline their child, or of a school administration that cares more about keeping special ed children in regular classrooms just so they can continue to get money. I take full responsibility. Should that student go home and smoke some weed this evening, I guess I'll take responsibility for that too. All because of my poor teaching skills. I should be ashamed of myself, letting the youth of America throw crayons at other youth of America, while I sit back and do nothing other than tell the kids "don't throw crayons." I think I'm also to blame in the sense that I don't buy into the philosophy that says the best way to stop a child's bad behavior is through positive affirmation. If I were to throw things in class as a middle school student, and were to get caught, I would have had the living shit beat out of me in a heartbeat.

Even though I like my principal, I wanted to tell her to go straight to hell today.

I hate it when I get like this. I am such a calm person by nature, but this job has introduced a new me. I can't wait to get out of it.

No comments: