Wednesday, March 03, 2004

Response to the Theologian

I read somewhere recently that it is inappropriate to make a lengthy response to a blog on the comment section. It is more appropriate to blog a response and post it on the comment section. So that's what I'm doing in response to my friend Aaron O'Kelly's blog concerning the current political state of our nation. You can see his blog at http://fenderpooh.blogspot.com/. I really need ot update my links to include all the new bloggers.

I guess I'll do this somewhat systematically:

1. The government spends way too much money. I am quite happy to pay for military protection, highways, police and fire services, and other necessary things. But I'm sick of all the pork. I don't want to pick up the tab every time some Representative wants federal funding for the Watermelon Festival in Podunk, Alabama. Quite frankly, I wish the government would phase out Social Security, and I have almost reached the same decision on public education.

In some ways I agree with you on principle concerning this, but practically I acknowledge that this is just how things are. And sometimes, we have to fund the Watermelon Festival in Podunk, Alabama in order to get things done that we really think the federal government should be doing, like military protection, highways, police and fire services-- (although the latter two are primarily funded locally.) As the late Speaker of the House Tip O'Neil used to say, "All Politics is Local." And congress works on a "you scratch my back, I scratch yours principle." Congressman A recognizes that we need more funding for national security and puts forth a bill to do so. Congressman B is leaning in the same direction as congressman A, but needs a little more incentive. A tells B, "If you vote for more military funding, we'll tack on a rider that includes funding for the watermelon festival." So in a sense, we need the Watermelon Festival to have a stronger military. It's screwed up, but that's how it works. One consgressional district's "pork" is anothers treasure.

2. The government thinks it can do a lot of things better than the private sector, which is a boatload of baloney.

I tend to agree with this.

3. The Democratic Party is so far out in left field that it is long past time for any reasonable person to jump that ship

Again, general agreement on my part.

- Democrats are too soft on marital infidelity. It's almost a badge of honor these days!

I think this is a gross overgeneralization based on the failure of our previous president. There are millions fo God fearing, family values Democrats in this country.

Speaking of entitlements, the Democrats love to create them.

I think Democrats do tend to believe that it is the government's responsibility to help those in need, and in the past that has turned into entitlements to those who don't won't to work. But the truth is, and as a Republican it's tough for me to admit this, the welfare rolls in this country dropped more under the previous Democratic president than in any other time before the New Deal began.

4. The Republican Party sucks when it acts like the Democratic Party, which it did last year under the leadership of our President in passing a new entitlement for prescription drugs.

Regardless of what we want to believe, there ARE people in this country who need help, and the governement is the only ones capable, or even willing in some cases, to provide that. I don't mind paying a little more in taxes to help and elderly person who needs medicine get it at a cheaper price.

This is one of those issues where the president is damned if he does, damned if he doesn't. He's gotten flack on both sides of this. Many Republicans said it shouldn't be done. Most Democrats said it didn't go far enough. What are you going to do?

5. President Bush has been awesome in the war on terror. I highly respect his courage and his willingness to put politics aside (unlike many members of a different political party) in defending this nation, no matter what the anti-American UN may say.

Chalk this one up to agreement on my behalf.

7. This country needs a good conservative third party that will compete with the Republicans and make them stick to conservative political principles.

A "good conservative third party" would do to the Republicans what Ralph Nader did for the Democrats-- ensure defeat.

8. In general, politicians are wretched theologians. This is especially true of Bush, who takes every opportunity he gets to bring Muslims into Heaven with us.

Aaron, I like and respect you tons. So please don't misunderstand me when I say.. "What the HELL are you talking about?" If you are referring to Bush reaching out to certain groups, I'm not sure where your disagreement is here. He is the President of the United States of America. I've got a secret for you, and I'm sorry if this breaks your concept of the U.S., but there are Muslims living in the country. He is their president as well. It's his responsibility to reach out to them.

(I'm hoping this last comment wasn't sarcasm. If it was, then consider me the ass.)

What is ironic about this is that Bush's theology is probably EXTEMELY close to your's and the rest of the American evangelical community. But unless Bush stands up and says.."I'm a Christian. I believe all non Christians are going to hell, and there's nothing you can do about it. Sundays should be reserved for church, fried chicken and iced tea, nap, then church again. See this piece of paper? It's a bill banning ALL abortions, and it's going to the Congress right now. All gun related weapons are now allowed to be owned by whoever the hell wants to own them. There will be no more welfare starting...... NOW! No more money for arts, education, or watermelon festivals, starting now. Every classroom, effective now, has to say a prayer at the beginning of class, and repeat the four spiritual laws, and sing Amazing Grace, while simultaneously signing the 2000 Baptist Faith and Message." those people won't be happy.

It's probably true that politicians make wretched theologians. But it's also true that theologians make wretched politicians. In theology, or at least in some theological circles, the goal is belief or dogma. In politics, the goal is compromise. I know that's an evil word to some groups, but it's the only way things get done.

Now I'm tired and ready for the backlash.

(Here's what's funny-- in this email I come across as very moderate. When I go to my community group at church tonight, I'm going to be the conservative. Perspective is an interesting thing.)


No comments: