Tuesday, November 25, 2003

Today

I worked today. I've felt very lazy the past couple of days. There really hasn't been anything for me to do except for help customers and pretend to shelve books while I read them. Today I read bits and pieces of Grenze's "Beyond Foundationalism," Michael Moore's "Who Stole My Country" (completely and utterly ignorant writing,) Norris' "Dakota: A Spiritual Geography," and Nancy's "Letters from a Nut." All in all it was a great day. Even better, I'm off until 10:00 on Friday.

Plans

My plans for the next few days are as follows. This evening-- lounge around, watch "About a Boy" for the bazillionth time, start working on my sermon. Tomorrow-- work on sermon most of the day. Maybe go see "Love, Actually" or something else. I really need to watch the second Lord of the Rings since I missed it. I really loved the first one, but was never motivated to see the second. Thursday-- Go home to the Nash Thanksgiving, complete with rednecks and everything-- I'm so excited about that. Then a second Thanksgiving dinner with Brent and his family. I spent several years having Thanksgiving with his folks, but they moved away. Luckily his sister just moved to Lake Palestine, just minutes from Uncle Johnny's farm where we'll be having the holiday. Then it's back here for dinner prepared by Tracey and her family.

The Lakes
I'd ordinarily have some time set aside to go play with the best kids in the world, being off for so many days. Unfortunately, the entire Lake clan is sick and contagious. In an effort to stop the cycle of germs being floated around, I've been ordered by Jen to stay away-- to save myself. So I will. I hate it that they're ill.

Back to the Wedding

Friday, after driving back from Dallas with Jason, Jason, Blake, and Mark, most of the day was spent at UBC getting ready for the reception. Then the rehearsal and then the rehearsal dinner.

Rehearsal Dinner

This is where the tears flowed. First of all, Jason gave all the groomsmen and ushers a gift. In that gift was a card with him sharing what we mean to him. He passed them out, we all looked down to read, and looked up to find each other trying our best not to cry. It was hilarious.

Blake, Jason's brother and one of my favorite people in the world, had set up a thing where some of the groomsmen and bridesmaids stood up and told stories about Jason and Christy. Robert got up there and had everyone in stitches. I got up there and started crying, talking about the first time I met Jason and how when you share your stories with him you become the center of his universe. And that's true. When Jason listens there's no bullshit going on. You have his complete attention. He makes you feel very warm inside. You know that you are not part of his spiritual agenda, as is the case with many evangelical Christians these days. Passions aren't important to him, people are. And so that's what I said. And that's why I cried

No comments: