Sunday, April 22, 2007

My Weekend...

I've had something that comes all to rarely for someone who works in retail, which is a complete weekend off. Two days is a LONG time to go without working, and I've tried to make the most of it. Among the things I've done...

-- Finished reading Little Chapel on the River by Gwendolyn Bounds. It's the true story of a Wall Street Journal Reporter who was forced out of her apartment after the 9/11 attacks. She found temporary housing in Garrison, a small town about fifty miles north of New York, just across the Hudson River from West Point. Bounds discovers, almost by accident, an Irish Bar tacked onto an old general store and chronicles the struggles and joy of the family that owns the place and the lives that frequent it. It's one of the most moving portraits I've ever seen of what makes true community exist-- struggle, commitment, loyalty, memory, and an understanding that place matters. The title of the book comes from a guy who drives over sixty miles once a week to the bar, and considers it his church-- The Little Chapel on the River.

-- Helped Britt move into the house he purchased from Potter. This was a perfect combination of excitement and weirdness. It's a strange feeling being sad that one friend is gone, yet happy that another is moving in to their first house. Anyway, it also helped me realize how out of shape I am, as I woke up this morning quite sore.

-- Mowed TK's yard.

-- Went to a fajita/margarita party at the house of an old friend of mine who lives way out in the country, and had a great time. On the drive out there I realized how long it had been since I've been in a social situation without the comfort of my small circle of "people." I actually was nervous. It surprises people to find out that over the past few years I've developed a small amount of social anxiety, especially with a lot of unfamiliar faces. Everything went great, though.

-- Went to church this morning. It was the last week of Sunday School, and I must say the class I led with Paola and James was one of the most enjoyable I've ever had. We went through Phillip Yancey's book Soul Survivor, and had a good, steady group who actually enjoyed talking.

-- Spent a lot more time than normal with Jane.

-- Began reading another book, The Beautiful Things that Heaven Bears. The title hooked me in.

And, well, that's about it. Hopefully I'll have some time to put into some more thoughtful posts this week, so keep your eyes peeled.

Have a great week.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Almost bought that book recently and spent quite a bit of time standing in the aisle at Barnes reading it before I bought something else. Might have to revisit the book since you say it's a winner.