Tuesday, August 29, 2006

It's a Girl!...

I grew up surrounded by animals. My mom is that "cat lady" that existed in every town any of you have ever lived in. We had dogs as well, but the house swarmed with cats. People in and out of town knew that 513 Neches Street was a place they could drop their unwanted animlas and have assurance they would be treated well. My mom would open the door to grab the morning paper and, oh, what do we have hear? She would pick it up and have it named before she turned around to bring it back into the house. We were animal people.

I've never lived in a place since I moved away from home that is conducive to raising a pet. Until now.

I've made about a half-dozen trips to the Waco Humane Society over the past few days and I've bit the bullet. I'm the proud papa of a little black labrador retriever. I can't pick her up until tomorrow or Thursday, as she has to get spaid and vaccinated, but I already feel different, like a new person.

I gave the Lake kids the responsibility of naming the puppy. If I got a boy puppy the boys could name it, and they decided on "Sharky." If it was a girl, Avery got the honors. A girl it is and Avery has christened her "Jane."

Pictures of Craig and Jane will be up within the week.

4 comments:

jenA said...

Bring jane over sometime next week, just call to let me know when you two are free and can hang out with me n jason!

ruth said...

welcome to the wonderful world of pet ownership. it's a good thing you feel like a new person - you certainly will be. :)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Craig! You will make a great dog-dad, I am sure. We will be anxiously awaiting pictures of your new addition.
-Erin (and Stella Artois, the beautiful tabby cat)
P.S. Yes, I know. I'm one of THOSE people who dotes on animals (esp. my own) like children. Ick.

Mrs. Carn-Dog said...

wait you got a black lab?

incredible