Wednesday, July 28, 2004

Quickies... (remove minds from gutters)

If brevity is a virtue then I'm not very virtuous because it normally takes me a long time and many unnecessary words to convey the thoughts in my head into words, whether or not the said words are in print or paper or are, in fact, actually said, as evidenced by this extremely long sentence.

Which is why I haven't posted much in response to some of the many theological and political discussions being had by my friends Aaron, Shane, Luke and others.  But here I will practice one sentence responses to things I've wanted to say.  So here goes.  I get graded on brevity...

On Luke's (and probably Aaron's) belief that propositional truth really did exist and was vital before the Enlightment...

Being on this side of such a monumental epistemological shift as the Enlightment, I feel it's impossible to assess whether or not that's true.

On the belief that postmoderns don't believe in truth...

Most informed postmoderns hold to the belief that there is no universal and objective standard by which to determine truth, not that truth is nonexistent.

On the Reformation...
 
I think it's a little ironic that there are at least three "solas" preached in reformation theology.

On critiquing and analyzing churches that interact with postmodern ideas and methods...(this one will be hard to do)
 
I've come to realize (even though it's taken me a while to refrain from this) that even friendly analysis and critique of a particular church or denomination from the outside, while may seem to be healthy and informed, can come across as very invasive and rude.  Ergo, in critiquing "postmodern churches" (even though I think that is a misnomer,) it's easy to forget that you are critiquing not just a movement or a belief system,  but the community of people that I love passionately and have chosen as the people to walk alongside as I seek to follow Christ.

(alright, I get an 'F' for brevity on the last one.)

On all of these conversations...

I know it is helpful to dialogue, but the sense animosity and a desire to "win" seem to be to be at the heart of many of them, rather than a desire to understand and grow. 

On why I'm a Republican...
 
Among other reasons, because my strong conviction that abortion is murder is not taken seriously in the Democratic party, a party that I agree with on many issues.

On why I'm quitting this...
 
Because I just realized I'm doing what I have become weak at, which is articulating my beliefs.  Give me some time and I'll have more stories to tell.  That's where I believe Truth lies.

No comments: