Thursday, April 15, 2004


Heaven Came Down.... Today

I think there are days in your life that, if you are not careful, can be dismissed as just another day where you thought thoughts, had conversations, read words, watched a screen in your living room, and did physical activity, but where nothing life altering changed.

I think that the value of some of those days is in nothing more than in thoughts, conversations, words, television, and exercise. But God gives us the grace on some rare occasions to lay down in bed at night and see that day as so much more than you might have thought, as days that are pivotal and life altering.

Being way to tired to elaborate, I'll just say that this has been one of those days. So many thoughts, but not just thoughts. Thoughts that I suspect will alter the course of my life in dramatic ways. So many conversations, but not every day conversations. Conversations in which I truly come to grip with who I am-- all the deep "who I am" stuff like motivation, fears, desires, quirks. Conversations in which I realize how truly valuable I am to another person, and vice versa.

I feel such a comfort in all this. I feel this day has been a door very similar to the door described by Dennis Covington in this book I just finished reading about Appalachian snake handlers, and so much more:

"There are moments when you stand on the brink of a new experience and understand that you have no choice about it. Either you walk into the experience or you turn away from it, but you know that no matter what you choose, you will have altered your life in a permanent way. Either way, there will be consequences.

I walked on in."


I sincerely pray for the grace and wisdom to walk on in.

No comments: